Here's a pic of us getting ready for my first hot Thanksgiving day with our newest "family addition" Gidion, John's namesake, who we get to share the week with as well! Don't we all look alike?? I think so.
Today we did our Haitian version of "Black Friday" shopping by going to a Metal Works market where all the Haitian men are in their little community pounding away on pieces of old, rusty iron and transforming the scraps into beautiful masterpieces right before our eyes while sitting outside their little huts up and down the alleys! The experience and the artwork are equally incredible. Here's a pic of a man painting something of his...I don't know why the only picture I took there was of a man with no shirt on. They're not all half naked there. Oops.
When we came back, the day just kept getting better. To watch my mom and my firstborn bond literally makes my heart swell! He LOVES getting spoiled by her and getting away with things I don't let him do and I love being able to sit back and know that it's ok because that's what grandmas are for! He is so comfortable and close to her already! We were all perfectly meant to be family! My mom brought the travel version of my favorite Thanksgiving dish: sweet potato casserole. She brought jarred baby food potatoes (yes she did!) and brown sugar, cinnamon, and coconut to doctor it up and hope for the best! And it was DELICIOUS...or maybe I've just been in Haiti too long? After John got more of it on himself than in his mouth, she showered him and ended up IN the shower with all her clothes on making an even bigger mess! At least it was a clean mess. I love this picture because his face is saying, "BUSTED!" Haha.
For dinner our lovely Rose prepared a (mostly) traditional Thanksgiving meal and it was such a surprise! I love her and am so thankful I actually don't have to cook any of my meals or do any dishes here in Haiti! She is an awesome cook and and it was the next best thing to having my dad's cooking today! We didn't dare put my baby food sweet potato casserole out with the spread. ...Only because I didn't want to share it.
After dinner we spent more silly, cuddly time with John and at one point he stepped on my toes pretty hard. I said, "Ouch!" and he looked and was about to kiss the bottom of my nasty, inevitably Haitian dirt covered foot but I stopped him in time and told him, "Thank you for being so sweet, but don't kiss my dirty feet!!!" So he observed, probably barfed in his mouth, and ran to get his wipes and began to wash my feet!! My heart swelled so much I thought it would pop that time. It brought me back to our wedding ceremony where Matt and I washed each other's feet to symbolize our commitment to lovingly and humbly serve each other forever. It was a sweet glimpse into the day that started our journey as our own family unit. And what an amazing gift God has added to our family with this precious little Haitian boy! We are SO thankful we get to be his parents!
So there's a little summary about our day...a day I was not wanting to experience in Haiti that ended up being my most memorable Thanksgiving so far. I don't have most of the things I love about the holiday season down here with me, but because of that I am more grateful for the times I did and also for the other precious things I notice now that I don't. How amazing is it that so many Haitians are more grateful for their daily bread (rice and beans if they even have that) than I have ever been for the over abundance I have in America?!
And just as the metal workers today were taking those old, rusty scraps of iron and pounding and polishing it into something more beautiful and purposeful, I feel like God is metaphorically doing that same work on my heart while in Haiti that wouldn't happen if I were enjoying the lovely, traditional American holiday season I so look forward to every year. He is intentionally removing the rust of my pessimistic, worrying, time-driven, take-too-much-for-granted heart and I'm trying to let Him transform me. I don't have it all figured out and definitely never will, but I'm getting to the point where I know these painful, pounding me with a hammer moments in life are temporary and are preparing us for a beautiful outcome. I've already witnessed some of the beautiful products of our pain in the depth and strength of our marriage despite being apart, the bond with our son and the mutual love that connects us, the blessing of new friendships we've formed through this, and the experience of living amidst a severely suffering people and witness their inspiring faith. For the first day since I've been in Haiti, I feel truly grateful for the glimpses of beauty I get to experience in these hard days in Haiti, and the blessings I ALWAYS have no matter my circumstances. I know that the blessings I always have despite my circumstances are of much more worth than hot showers, a good peppermint hot chocolate, and a shopping mall on Black Friday. All of which I'm missing! Ohhh...but I can't wait to wear a scarf again some day. Seriously, I am thankful that God is teaching me what true thankfulness should look like in my life and is giving me SO many things to be thankful for in Haiti! That is a gift that I wouldn't have learned if John and I would have come home already. I never thought I'd be calling these hardships a gift, but I'm thankful that today my heart feels that way.
Oh, and for anyone wondering: we haven't heard anything more about our process yet except the new director can't sign any papers until her signature is certified in all the foreign embassies here...and probably a few other things. Still hopeful, feeling LESS fragile, and so thankful for all of your prayers and support as we wait what is probably another 5-12 months to go home. Of course, we're still praying for a miracle and the ability to trust in God's perfect plan.
And to top off the laughter from our night:
Don't even ask...